FAQ for Red Hat 6.x is now confusing with RHEL 6.0 and 6.1 releases.

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 07:50:41 EST 2011

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 4:09 PM, Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net> wrote:
> Once upon a time, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com> said:
>> The problem is that Red Hat has now published Red Hat Enterprise Linux
>> 6.0 and 6.1, normally written RHEL 6.0. Some software purchasers and
>> new admins are not aware that Red Hat 6.0 was actually the name of a
>> much older release, in 1999.
>
> No, "Red Hat" was never the name of a distribution.  You are referring
> to "Red Hat Linux".  When properly named, RHL and RHEL are easily
> distinguished.

What that was true of the contents of "/etc/redhat-relase", even Red
Hat referred to it as "Red Hat 6.0" and later "Red Hat 6.2" in their
websites and sales literature. This remains in evidence in Red Hat's
in public websites such as
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/zoot-list.

>> Zoot-list -- Discussion list for Red Hat 6.2

A FAQ is not the place to try to rely on be correct rather than clear.
Given that the first page of results searching Google  for "Red Hat
Linux 6.x" all refers the current RHEL 6.x releases. I suggest that
updating the language of the FAQ for clarity would help avoid
confusion about the current releases. Perhaps this would be workable?

        This problem occurred with the obsolete Slackware 7.0 and Red
Hat 6.x Linux. The issue has not been reported for more recent
Slackware or Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.x releases.

The problem is not one of correctness, in the FAQ, bur one of clarity
for Linux. Add something like the above language would, I think, bo
both correct and clear.