openSSH 5.8p2 BindPort patch

Rory McNamara pink.banana.fish at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 22:41:59 EST 2011

>possibly, although it's more likely that it'll be IO bound on the
>network.  Try it.
./ssh -B 10000 -i ~/.ssh/id_rsa USER at HOST -p 443 'find /'
3.046 seconds
./ssh -o "ProxyCommand=nc -p 10000 %h %p" -i ~/.ssh/id_rsa USER at HOST
-p 443 'find /'
2.592 seconds

This is over the internet, to a ddwrt router.
This therefore shows that my patch is slower by 0.5 seconds in this
instance. However, i still believe it is of benefit if you need to use
something else for your ProxyCommand

>In that case, how do you do use the bindport at all?  Using a
>proxycommand doesn't allocate a tcp socket.

The proxy im trying to get through only allows ssl on ports 443 from
port 443, i have no idea why, but it means i have to set the source
port to be 443 and the destination port to be 443, as well as the
proxycommand to be able to get through it.