Support for ECDSA and SHA-2 (SHA-256) in the SSHFP record

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Sun Jul 31 04:21:52 EST 2011

Thanks for starting work on this - SSHFP records for ECDSA keys were on
my TODO list, but I haven't yet got around to them.

I briefly skimmed your draft - one question I have is whether it is
better to roll up all the ECDSA key types under one SSHFP RR type.
It would be quite ugly to have to allocate SSHFP RR type numbers for
each possible ECDSA curve type, but using a single one might make
exploitation of SHA256 preimage attacks easier.

The latter is a theoretical concern, so I think a single RR type is
probably correct.

It would probably be best to continue discussion of this on the IETF SSH
list.

-d