Problemes with ControlPersist

Joachim Schipper joachim at joachimschipper.nl
Tue Mar 15 06:34:51 EST 2011

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 04:15:40PM +0100, Klaus Ethgen wrote:
> There seems to be just a bit to do with the latest openssh (5.8p1) and
> ControlPersist. I encountered two problems:
>
> 1. When I use ControlPersist in combination with ProxyCommand to reach a
>    other host over that proxy I get the following message:
>       Bad packet length 1397966893.
>       Disconnecting: Paket corrupt
>
>    When I fist ssh to the proxy, close the connection (that persists in
>    background) and ssh to the target everything works well.

I use this in .ssh/config, and it works for me (and has been working for
a long time):

Host *
	CheckHostIP yes
	ControlMaster auto
	ControlPath ~/.ssh/mux-%r@%h:%p
	ControlPersist 3m
	HashKnownHosts yes
	NoHostAuthenticationForLocalhost yes
	Protocol 2

Host ssh.cwi.nl
	ProxyCommand none
	StrictHostKeyChecking yes

Host *.cwi.nl
	User schipper
	ProxyCommand ssh ssh.cwi.nl netcat %h %p

This is on OpenBSD-current (OpenSSH_5.8, OpenSSL 1.0.0a 1 Jun 2010).
What are you connecting to what, and does it really say _Paket_ corrupt?

> 2. When I use cvs over ssh and use ControlPersist and ProxyCommand every
>    ssh command will block at the end for exact the time I specify in
>    ControlPersist. (Note that I have to start the proxy first like I
>    described in the first issue.)

That's a known issue with certain programs (including e.g. Subversion,
IIRC), but I don't recall how to fix it. Sorry.

		Joachim