ssh-agent subprocess parentage

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Tue May 10 06:39:27 EST 2011

On 05/09/2011 01:29 PM, Ángel González wrote:
> Making the original ssh-agent a process group can probably avoid it, though:

which process (the parent or the child) would need to be its own process
group for this to work?  Would there be other side effects of doing this?

> I guess it's so you can supervise the "right process", as the important one
> would be the parameter, so you could replace transparently the called
> command with
> "ssh-agent oldcommand".

but in the example i gave, i actually want to supervise the agent, not
the "oldcommand".  and indeed, the man page suggests that i should be
able to do that :/

I see what you're saying about how this could be useful in some cases,
but it is explicitly not the documented behavior.

> It's also cleaner having the agent showing as child of bash. It's part
> of your bash session
> (although 'adopted').

Why is this cleaner than the other way around?

	--dkg