Rationale for an absence of a native file-logging configuration option for OpenSSH-Server

Lee Hambley lee.hambley at gmail.com
Wed May 11 00:24:02 EST 2011

Good afternoon, I wanted to ask quickly about the rationale for not allowing
explicit declaration of a log file to receive logging output. Whilst using
syslogd is convenient for system processes, for short-lived applications,
such as booting an SSH server (and wishing to monitor it) for testing
purposes… having to also configure syslogd to receive output is
inconvenient.

I ask because it seems logical to allow either a native file, or a syslog
type system to be used, and the absence of a native-log-file directive in
the configuration is inconvenient for me.

Sincerely yours, Lee Hambley