Rationale for an absence of a native file-logging configuration option for OpenSSH-Server

Lee Hambley lee.hambley at gmail.com
Wed May 11 00:40:44 EST 2011

> You can use sshd's -e option to send logs to stderr, while mapping the
> stderr file descriptor (fd 2) to whatever native file (or process) you
> like.

I hadn't considered that, interesting point…

> Does this solve your problem?

I expect so, I'm working on Ruby bindings for libssh, and the server is
booted by a Ruby package "Daemon Controller", DaemonConrtoller requires only
that there be a logfile for it to check for errors…

> Note that if you plan to rotate your logs, you may need to restart sshd
> at the appropriate time.

Not an issue here, but thanks for keeping it in mind!

For what it's worth, and if anyone is interested in my project, contributing
or following - here's the link: https://github.com/leehambley/libssh.rb and
specifically my server wrapper implementation
https://github.com/leehambley/libssh.rb/blob/master/test/support/ssh_daemon.rb