SCP fails to locate remote file: '-- <filename>'

mike.mackintosh at angrystatic.com mike.mackintosh at angrystatic.com
Sat Nov 12 03:57:55 EST 2011

I am not sure if many people have run into this, but recently working
with some non-standard SSH capable devices, Routers, Firewalls and
Switches, I noticed SCP failed on many of them. Looking through logs I
saw:

SCP unable to find file: '-- config'

When looking through the verbose output from the issued command, it
was passing:

scp -v -f -- config

I am not sure why the -- is needed in this command. I have attached a
patch for scp.c to fix this functionality in the event anyone else
runs into this.