scp fails after sending command: scp -v -t

phorminx at web.de phorminx at web.de
Sun Sep 4 01:43:06 EST 2011

I encounter a strange problem with scp / sftp:

I travel quite a bit. Normally I never have had any problems using
ssh / scp / sftp to connect from my laptop to my computer at home /
in the office. Currently (for the next 6 months, too long to ignore it)
I'll stay in a place where scp / sftp seem to fail, while as usual I
have no problems to establish an interactive ssh connection to these
remote computers. Recently, I did not change any configuration
neither on my laptop nor on the remote computers I want to connect
to. In particular, I also double-checked that

  http://www.openssh.org/faq.html#2.9

does not apply, i.e.,

  $ssh myhost /bin/true

does not give any spurious output.

More specifically, I also tried scp -v together with sshd -d
on the server side. The client hangs after issuing

  debug1: Sending command: scp -v -t ~/foo

At this stage, the server says

  debug1: server_input_channel_open: confirm session

The complete output of scp -v and sshd -d is attached below.

My problem appears to be similar to

  http://lists.mindrot.org/pipermail/openssh-unix-dev/2008-March/026276.html

The only difference might be that the guy of the previous thread
stayed (and suffered) in his hotel not very long so that apparently
his case was never resolved properly. I cannot ignore this problem
for the next six months. So any help will be appreciated!