SSH Compression - Block Deduplication

Alex Bligh alex at alex.org.uk
Thu Sep 15 16:24:03 EST 2011

--On 14 September 2011 17:05:46 -0700 Dan Kaminsky <dan at doxpara.com> wrote:

> As a note, I asked around. X over ssh has a significant userbase.  A
> better compressor for it would absolutely be useful.

My understanding is that most of the "compression" (in the sense of
bandwidth reduction) in NX came from nxproxy (i.e. running a proxy
server on the client, and sending less stuff i.e. only differences)
rather than data stream compression in the conventional sense.

I'm taking it the reason not to try bzip2 compression its ability to
eat CPU.

--
Alex Bligh