securely set environment variables per user

Christoph Anton Mitterer calestyo at scientia.net
Wed Aug 8 08:44:40 EST 2012

On Tue, 2012-08-07 at 18:37 -0400, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> That's not an SSH problem. That's a shell environment problem.
Well in principle I wanted to avoid using any shell... this means just
more forking and so on... and I really need to squeeze out the
microseconds ;-)

> Why are you trying to do this?
What exactly do you mean? Setting a path?
Well I use the whole thing for Icinga/Nagios remote check commands...
The check_plugins are typically not in the standard PATH, but something
like /usr/lib/nagios/pluings...
And it would be nice if the client side could run the plugins by:
ssh host check_foo
instead of
ssh host /usr/lib/nagios/pluings/check_foo

And yes this is actually more than just a cosmetic difference.
Cause later on, the whole command string will be used by Icinga/Nagios
(well actually by PNP4Nagios) for some matching.... and the prefix
"/usr/lib/nagios/pluings/" makes everything more complicated (and
resource intensive).

Cheers,
Chris.