Deprecated calls to bzero() and index() found in OpenSSH 6.1p1

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Fri Dec 21 11:06:18 EST 2012

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012, Bill Parker wrote:

> Hello All,
>
>     In reviewing source code for OpenSSH-6.1p1, I found instances
> of deprecated library calls still within various source code files.
>
> Examples of deprecated calls are: bzero() (replaced with memset()
> which is ANSI compliant), index() (replaced with strchr() which
> is also ANSI compliant).

No thanks.

I prefer bzero actually. Less to type, less chance to get the arguments
wrong. The BSD functions are widely used and not going anywhere.

If you're spending time reviewing the OpenSSH source, please look for
real bugs or opportunities to switch to improved APIs like xasprintf from
alloc+snprintf, etc.

-d