Interop problem with IPSSH-6.6.0, CR/NL?

Christian Weisgerber naddy at mips.inka.de
Sat Jan 7 02:40:25 EST 2012

Damien Miller:

> I'd suggest that you try fiddling with ttymodes.h and prune it to the
> minimum set of modes that you can.

It turns out to be... *drum roll*... ICRNL.

Unix TTYs default to ICRNL on, ssh correctly forwards this, and the
PTY code in the switch apparently honors it, mapping CR to NL.  Too
bad the CLI code then just ignores NL.  Why this only happens with
SSH2 but not the SSH1 protocol is a mystery.

A simple "stty -icrnl" before ssh'ing to the switch works around
the problem.

> Do you have any idea what the last version of OpenSSH to interop correctly
> with these devices was? Or has it always been broken? :)

These are TP-Link JetStream switches.  They've only been available
for half a year, and I've had them only for a week. ;-)

Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          naddy at mips.inka.de