ChrootDirectory per SSH Subsystem?

John Olsson M john.m.olsson at ericsson.com
Fri Jan 20 00:38:43 EST 2012

Hi,

According to the sshd_config manual page the option ChrootDirectory can be used to force a chroot:ed environment for the SSHD server. But as I understand the manual page this is a global setting and it is not possible to specify this per SSH subsystem.

We are building a system where we need users to be able to log on from remote machines via SSH, but with the tweaks that we (for security reasons) for SFTP-sessions only want to show a virtual filesystem and "standard" SSH subsystem leads to our own shell offering only our own commands. Unfortunately, there is a conflict between what we want to show via an SFTP session and what the shell needs to be able to access.

What is your take on this? Is getting the desired behavior above an RTFM? Or are we entering the land of patching the source code? If the latter, do you have feeling for if is a small or huge undertaking (both implementing and maintaining)?

Would such an enhancement be something that could be accepted into the main development trunk, or do you have concerns over the concept of being able to override the global setting per SSH subsystem?

/John