Server/Client Alive mechanism issues

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Jan 26 09:06:57 EST 2012

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 12:26:34PM -0500, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> My understanding is that since the alive mechanism is running inside the
> encrypted connection, OpenSSH would be able to (and would) prioritize
> the alive packets over other data. So if any data is able to get through
> (and it does) the alive packets should be able to as well. But this
> doesn't seem to be the case.

For that, OpenSSH would need to know that there is congestion, and
throttle it's send rate to avoid buffers building up *elsewhere*.

If there is 10 seconds worth of data in your DSL router, there is nothing
OpenSSH can do to achieve a round-trip time of 1s for it's keepalives.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de