While using internal sftp server, need to access files outside chroot

Ángel González keisial at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 07:02:42 EST 2012

On 07/06/12 22:47, Raghu Udupa wrote:
> Angel,
>
> When you say "You can make a binary setuid from outside the chroot" do you mean making my custom sshd (with patches required for sftp) to have setuid flag set?
>
> If I turn on setuid bit, sshd does not run properly.
> Could you give me some more detail regarding providing access out of chroot in ssh-sftp (internal sftp) environment?
>
> Thanks,
> Raghu
No. I was thinking on another program which lived inside the chroot and
was called to copy files outside.

I begin to wonder why you need to do so, though. Why do you chroot to a
folder if you then need to move the files anywhere else? What's your use
case?
If it's a simple drop box, you could use a unchrooted process watching
the folder and moving out new files.