While using internal sftp server, need to access files outside chroot

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Mon Jun 18 20:19:48 EST 2012

John Olsson M wrote:
> What do you think of having the SFTP server temporarily rename the
> transfered file with a ".tmp" extension which is removed when
> transfer is completed?

What happens when I upload a file called foo.tmp ?

Even using inotify to know when a file gets closed does not tell the
full story - it is still unknown if the file was closed because the
SFTP upload finished successfully, or because it was aborted by the
client, or due to network error, or some other problem. :(

A reliable solution indeed requires sftp-server to take action in
order to signal successful vs. failed upload completion. I'd like
to use POSIX Message Queues for this, but they aren't widely
supported. :( It would work a treat on Linux however!

Please just verify your input and dismiss anything corrupt. This is
fundamental for any programming. Do it and you will be happier.

//Peter