Unix socket forwarding

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Tue Mar 6 11:04:41 EST 2012

William Ahern wrote:
> I'm intimately aware of the details. Outside of the core developers
> and a small cadre of hackers I probably became more familiar with
> the OpenSSH codebase than anyone else. It's an intrusive patch and
> required additions to the underlying protocol, fixes to options
> parsing code, and a refactoring of several data structures and
> related code.

Each of these properties is enough motivation to reject the patch.

> The fact that X11 forwarding already exists--as pointed out by the
> OP--turns out to not matter one iota because of the SSH protocol
> spec and the architecture of OpenSSH in particular.

The spec is the bigger problem. Nobody likes private extensions..

> The fact that everybody but the core developers think it's a good idea,

Don't put words in my mouth please. I think it's a terrible idea
because of all the required changes.

> and yet I've been the only one to cook up a patch, tends to
> suggest a lack of substantive demand.

I think this is spot on. If I would need to do this I would indeed
use socat, possibly as an ssh subsystem.

//Peter