openssh static build - mission impossible?

Howard Chu hyc at symas.com
Tue Mar 6 19:40:27 EST 2012

Peter Stuge wrote:
> Mr Dash Four wrote:
>> I am cross-compiling from armv7l to armv6l as evident from the
>> initial configure. The actual library - /usr/lib/libcrypt.a - is
>> compiled and build for armv5tel (Fedora's own latest "stable").
>
> Except if you are using the armv5tel gcc and libcrypt.a you are not
> actually targeting armv6l anymore.
>

>>> If libcrypt.a for your target indeed requires
>>> NSS then I suggest writing a replacement crypt() which you can
>>> link OpenSSH against.
>>
>> Easier said than done!
>
> I think that would be easy enough. There must be plenty of
> implementations to choose from.

Sounds like he's been bitten by RedHat/Fedora's policy to replace all crypto
on the system with MozillaNSS. You could easily dig up an unmodified glibc
source to replace this. Also, the suggestion to use uClibc is still a better
one. It will make static linking that much easier as well. Another option is
to grab Bionic from the Android source tree; either of these is more compact
than the stock Fedora monstrosity.

--
   -- Howard Chu