openssh static build - mission impossible?

Mr Dash Four mr.dash.four at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 7 06:09:27 EST 2012

>> But I digress. If you refuse to build your own libcrypto then you
>> really have no way to accomplish your goal; the libcrypto you try
>> to use (Fedora's binary) has a dependency (NSS) which is incompatible
>> with your goal, leaving you the only choice of building your own, as
>> I suggested that you should already several emails ago. Did you check
>> already if OpenSSH actually includes a crypt() implementation in the
>> compat sources?
>>
> openssl DES_crypt() (at crypto/des/fcrypt.c, but you (Mr Dash Four) are
> already linking with openssl) seems to be a crypt(3) implementation.

I have specifically rebuilt openssl so that I could use its static
libraries to compile openssh - that was the main goal (the standard
Fedora-distributed openssl was way too bloated, again). So, given the
above, bearing in mind what I just posted in my previous post, do I need
another static crypto library to link against?