Transferring file to local machine when SSHing into a foreign box

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon May 14 19:55:57 EST 2012

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 10:02 AM, John Olsson M
<john.m.olsson at ericsson.com> wrote:
> You also need to consider the case where the user is *not* running a normal (like TCSH, Bash, ZSH, ...) shell on
> the server and where the file system is exposed as a virtual filesystem via SFTP (which might run in another
> chrooted directory than the SSH subsystem).
>
> What would a path to a local file look like in this context?

The feature would obviously not be available in the SFTP context. For
one thing, the feature requires a remote server script / command
cpLocal which initiates the transfer and in SFTP there is no access to
scripts / commands.

> I see this as a security hole since you suddenly get acess to files via SSH which you do not get access to via
> SFTP (since it is chrooted)...

If the user has access to read a file in a BASH shell then what is to
prevent him from copying the text of that file right from his
terminal? In fact, that is exactly what I have been doing and is quite
the reason for suggesting the download feature.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com