process_rename assumes hard links?

Miguel Oliveira m.a.oliveira at usit.uio.no
Wed Oct 10 19:10:43 EST 2012

Hi,

My name is Miguel Oliveira and I work at the University of Oslo where we just deployed a new high performance compute cluster. Our current parallel filesystem is FhGFS and we started having complaints about problems with file transfers… We managed to diagnose this to particular ssh clients that do not support the new posix rename extension.

Bottom line our filesystem does not support hard links and I think the problem is that process_rename assumes link(old path,newpath) will always return
one. Shouldn't this situation, i.e., link returning a symlink, be contemplated in the code?

For the time being we changed the code so that posix rename is the default but shouldn't this be addressed?

All the best,

MAO