ssh(1) documentation for -L and -R

Bert Wesarg bert.wesarg at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 17 17:06:22 EST 2012

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 8:09 AM, Peter Stuge <peter at stuge.se> wrote:
> Bert Wesarg wrote:
>> totally misleading. It suggest that the host:port has anything
>> to do with the corresponding side, which is not.
>
> The destination in both -L and -R is only ever used on the respective
> side. host in -L is resolved locally, host in -R is resolved remotely.

But its exactly the other way around, isn't it? Ie. in -L
port:host:hostport, the host is resolved on the remote side. And the
patch added exactly this to the documentation.

> I guess this is what the patch wants to clarify.

I hoped I understood the intention of the patch, but the proposed new
namings are misleading. And I think adding 'remote' to the host name
in -L does not makes it clearer that it will be resolved on the remote
size.

Bert