Restrict extranet connection to a group

Sebastien Koechlin seb.ssh at koocotte.org
Sun Sep 30 06:24:43 EST 2012

Hello,

I have a question about sshd and I'm unable to find an answer, I checked the
man page, the FAQ, the archives of the mailing list without success.

I'm in a small organization with a single server (Stable Linux Debian). It's
connected to two networks: local-network and internet.

>From the local network, everybody is allowed to do SSH (sftp in fact) but I
want to restrict SSH connection coming from Internet to a group of users
(this group is named ssh, users within this group should be the only ones
allowed to connect from Internet).

I tried to deny any login method to users not on the local network and not
in the ssh group by writing into /etc/ssh/sshd_config the following section:

    Match Address !192.168.0.0/16 Group !ssh
        KbdInteractiveAuthentication no
        KerberosAuthentication no
        PasswordAuthentication no
        PubkeyAuthentication no
        RSAAuthentication no

But it does not work: I can login with password using a user not in the ssh
group.  I am doing it wrong?  Why it doesn't work as expected?  Is it
possible?

Thanks,

--
Sebastien Koechlin