Too many public keys

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Sun Apr 7 21:45:43 EST 2013

>> The problem is when connecting to a site which does not provide an oob
>> way to install an authorized_keys file.  Ssh(1) sends each key and the
>> remote sshd(8) drops the connection before one can enter one's passwd.

DM> ssh -i none user at host

That doesn't work here:

:; ssh -i none a-remote-site.org
Warning: Identity file none not accessible: No such file or directory.
Received disconnect from 62.xx.xxx.xx: 2: Too many authentication failures for cloos

ssh skips none because it is not found and then tries everything known
to the agent, just like w/o -i none.

-o PreferredAuthentications\ keyboard-interactive,password does work.

(It seems like there was something different I used to use, but the
above is what I've ended up with.)

-JimC