Call for testing: OpenSSH-6.3

Iain Morgan imorgan at nas.nasa.gov
Thu Aug 1 03:57:11 EST 2013

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 14:46:50 -0500, Iain Morgan wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 22:35:25 -0500, Damien Miller wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > OpenSSH 6.3 is almost ready for release, so we would appreciate testing
> > on as many platforms and systems as possible. This release contains
> > some substantial new features and a number of bugfixes.
> >
> [snip]
> >
> >  * sftp(1): add support for resuming partial downloads using the "reget"
> >    command and on the sftp commandline or on the "get" commandline using
> >    the "-a" (append) option.
> >

> Some initial testing of the reget functionality shows that its
> interaction with the progress meter code is a bit buggy. In one test, it
> reported an inordinately high initial rate. In another test, it reported
> a negative rate.
>
> A simple test is to reget a file which was already transferred
> successfully:
>
> sftp> reget testfile.10gb
> Resuming /nobackupp1/imorgan/testfile.10gb to testfile.10gb
> /nobackupp1/imorgan/testfile.10gb               100%   10GB -2097151.-9KB/s   00:
> sftp>

Another exemplar, which I should have included in my previous post is
found by interrupting the 10GB transfer after 10% and then doing a
reget. The reported rate and ETA right after the reget are rather
impressive, but unfortunately unrealistic. ;-)

sftp> reget testfile.10gb
Resuming /nobackupp1/imorgan/testfile.10gb to testfile.10gb
/nobackupp1/imorgan/testfile.10gb                 11% 1214MB 715.7MB/s   00:12 ETA^Interrupt

--
Iain Morgan