Call for testing: OpenSSH-6.3

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Sun Aug 4 16:38:30 EST 2013

On Sun, Aug 4, 2013 at 5:44 AM, Kevin Brott <kevin.brott at gmail.com> wrote:
> Similar results on both systems affected ...
[...]
> RHL8$ ./test
> -1 22 1108578828
>
> RHEL3$ ./test
> -1 22 -1218445280
[...]
> On the older RHEL 2.1 system - ssh builds and tests fine, yet the test
> program won't.
[...]
> test.c:7: `CLOCK_MONOTONIC' undeclared (first use in this function)

The older system works because of the code that enables the use of
clock_gettime also checks that CLOCK_MONOTONIC is defined.  On the
older system it isn't, and the code correctly falls back to use plain
old time(2).

The problem seems to be the systems where CLOCK_MONOTONIC is in the
headers but not the kernel (or maybe librt).  Note that it's possible
for this to change post build time, eg after a kernel or library
update.

Based on the output of the test program I'm reasonably confident the
patch is the right thing to do.  I just tested with "#define
clock_gettime(a,b) -1" and got a binary that passed regress tests but
has no clock_gettime symbol in it, but if you could confirm it works
on the problematic system I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.