Documentation error: wrong permissions given in FAQ

Joe Carroll joe.carroll at sihti.fi
Wed Aug 7 16:16:25 EST 2013

Hi,

I discovered yesterday that the instructions given at http://www.openssh.org/faq.html#3.14 regarding the correct permissions for the authorized_keys file mistakenly recommend chmod'ing the file to 600 when it should be 644. The requirement for public key authentication to work is in fact that ~/.ssh/authorized_keys is readable (but not writable) by group and other, not just owner. Someone should probably update the project's official FAQ accordingly to avoid future confusion. Unfortunately, I did not realise the error in this documentation before it caused me a great deal of frustration configuring chrooted key-only access to our server (Ubuntu 12.04 LTS).

Ystävällisin terveisin / Best regards,
Joe Carroll
IT-päällikkö / IT Manager
joe at sihti.fi<mailto:joe at sihti.fi>