Addition to the use case Was: Re: "Virtual hosts" for ssh

Johannes Ernst johannes.ernst at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 08:08:00 EST 2013

This one argues that the workaround of simply assigning different user accounts to different git installs has other problems which could be avoided with "virtual hosting" as proposed.

Assume I set up 3 gits on server1 and 3 gits on server2. To keep the repositories separate, I create separate users:
users git1, git2, git3 on server1 (with host name aliases host1, host2 and host3, each of which has a git instance)
users git1, git2, git3 on server2 (with host name aliases host3, host4 and host5, each of which has a git instance)

Now, for some reason two of the repositories on server1 get really popular, so I need to move one of it to server2. All of a sudden, there's a conflict: user git2 from server1 is not and should not be the same as user git2 on server2. So I'd have to rename one of them, and all of my users need to change their client-side setup.

The act of moving a site from one server to another is not transparent to clients, and that's not good in my book. Virtual hosting, Apache-style, would avoid that.

Cheers,

Johannes