Call for testing: OpenSSH-6.2

Tim Rice tim at multitalents.net
Sun Mar 3 10:12:51 EST 2013

On Sat, 2 Mar 2013, Philip Hands wrote:

> Perhaps you'd be kind enough to give this a go on solaris for me:
>
>   http://git.hands.com/ssh-copy-id?p=ssh-copy-id.git;a=blob_plain;f=ssh-copy-id;hb=refs/heads/solaris

$ sh -n /tmp/ssh-copy-id
/tmp/ssh-copy-id: syntax error at line 205: `KEY_NO=$' unexpected

Use
KEY_NO=`expr $KEY_NO + 1`

> I have a suspicion that if it doesn't like $(...) it might not like
> $((maths)) much either.
>
> I take it that opinion is that we still care about Solaris?
> (please say no :-) )

Yes we still care about Solaris and a few other platforms that have older
bourne shells. That said, I can't think of any of them that do not also
have a current POSIX shell. I think all of the ones derived from the AT&T
code base will have ksh too. Most will have added bash but not all.
Now it would not be a good idea to do a "#!/bin/ksh" because some Linux
distros do not have a ksh.

Since ssh-copy-id is in contrib, it might be OK to use POSIX shell syntax
and require users/packagers to configure the first line with the
apropriate shell.

My $.02, not speaking for the rest of the dev team.

--
Tim Rice
tim at multitalents.net