Call for testing: OpenSSH-6.2

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Mon Mar 4 07:19:06 EST 2013

Tim Rice <tim at multitalents.net> writes:

> On Sat, 2 Mar 2013, Philip Hands wrote:
>
>> Perhaps you'd be kind enough to give this a go on solaris for me:
>>
>>   http://git.hands.com/ssh-copy-id?p=ssh-copy-id.git;a=blob_plain;f=ssh-copy-id;hb=refs/heads/solaris

> $ sh -n /tmp/ssh-copy-id
> /tmp/ssh-copy-id: syntax error at line 205: `KEY_NO=$' unexpected

Thanks for checking.

> Use
> KEY_NO=`expr $KEY_NO + 1`

quite

>> I have a suspicion that if it doesn't like $(...) it might not like
>> $((maths)) much either.
>>
>> I take it that opinion is that we still care about Solaris?
>> (please say no :-) )
>
> Yes we still care about Solaris and a few other platforms that have older
> bourne shells. That said, I can't think of any of them that do not also
> have a current POSIX shell.

Well, avoiding $((...)) is no great hardship, once one's already having
to suffer the unreadability of `` vs $().

Luckily the script had no nested $(), so didn't need any nasty escaping
tricks to deal with that limitaion.

> I think all of the ones derived from the AT&T code base will have ksh
> too. Most will have added bash but not all.  Now it would not be a
> good idea to do a "#!/bin/ksh" because some Linux distros do not have
> a ksh.
>
> Since ssh-copy-id is in contrib, it might be OK to use POSIX shell syntax
> and require users/packagers to configure the first line with the
> apropriate shell.

Rather than complicating things for people installing it, I think I'd
probably take the readability hit to maintain the widest portability.

Especially if the latest version runs nicely (same URL).

Cheers, Phil.