Session rekeying support in OpenSSH

brindha perumal brindhait.2010 at gmail.com
Mon May 13 23:10:16 EST 2013

Hi,

I am using OpenSSH_5.2p1.  It seems ssh server doesn't support key
regeneration after a specified amount of time. I manually verified the
OpenSSH_5.2p1 and OpenSSH-6.2 source codes and haven’t found any code
support for session rekeying in both releases.

SSH2 supports session rekeying using the parameter “RekeyIntervalSeconds”
with default value 3600 seconds (one hour) in both ssh2_config and
sshd2_config files.  I haven’t found similar parameter in both releases
OpenSSH_5.2p1 and openssh-6.2 configuration files.

Does openSSH not support session rekeying (rekeying after a specified
amount of time)? If so, is there any alternative approach to achieve this
behavior?

Your prompt reply would be so helpful.

Thanks,

Brundha