Protocol Version Exchange: the comments field and an idea how to use it

Hannes Hörl hannes.hoerl at snowreporter.com
Wed Nov 13 22:17:11 EST 2013

Good day!

As stated in [1] ("Protocol Version Exchange") there is a "comments"
field, which gets transferred in plain text before setting up the
encrypted connection. I couldn't find anything specific in which cases
one could or should use this field - so i figured I can use it how ever
I want.

So here is my basic idea:

With a command line switch (or configfile entry) the openssh client uses
the said comments field to send the (maybe hashed) hostname the user
wants to connect to (or any other info for that matter).

Now on the serverside one could deploy a small proxy which listens on
the default ssh port. When receiving the Protocol Version and this
comment this proxy could decide (based on the unencrypted stuff) where
to pipe this connection to. This could be used to route ssh connection
from a frontend machine to a backend machine without intercepting the
encrypted connection and without having multiple ports open which
forward to the ssh port on the internal machine.

My question:

What did I miss - there must be a problem somewhere
  - This shouldn't interfere with any other standards compliant ssh server
  - I can't really think of any security problems (given there are no
    errors in the implementation itself)
  - Looking through the openssh code it shouldn't be to hard to
    implement for the openssh-client
  - Said proxy should be relatively easy to implement too
  - I think this could be extremely helpful for various situations

Any input on this idea would be very much appreciated!

Thank you & bye,
Hannes

[1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4253#section-4.2