Feature request: FQDN Host match

Alexander T mittspamkonto at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 01:48:11 EST 2013

Hello!

I'm hoping that Gmail won't HTML format this mail so that I'll get flamed :)

Anyway, my question relates to ssh_config. The problem I find is that
the Host pattern is only applied to the argument given on the command
line, as outlined in the man page:

"The host is the hostname argument given on the command line (i.e. the
name is not converted to a canonicalized host name before matching)."

I find this problematic, since I have resolv.conf-entries listing
certain search domains, like:

search my.very.long.subdomain.at.example.com

This shortens the amount of typing I have to do when connecting to
boxes in this subdomain, like

'ssh mybox'

instead of

'ssh mybox.my.very.long.subdomain.at.example.com'

BUT this becomes problematic when combined with .ssh/config, where I
would like to specify something like

Host *.subdomain.at.example.com
    User notme

This since the fully qualified domain name is not used when matching
Host directives, and I'm only saying 'ssh mybox', so the rule will
never match.

So my question is whether there is some specific reason why FQDN isn't
used when matching Host-entries. And if not, would you consider a
patch containing this change?

Best regards,

Alexander T