SSH_PRIVSEP_USER configurable at runtime?

Corinna Vinschen vinschen at redhat.com
Tue Apr 1 23:15:29 EST 2014

On Apr  1 22:41, Damien Miller wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Apr 2014, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure I can follow.  Do you mean we should make sure that a
> > machine account sshd always exists and use that?
> >
> > The problem is, sshd would still call getpwent("sshd").  This would work
> > for machine accounts on non-domain machines and for primary domain
> > accounts on domain member machines, but it would fail for a machine
> > account on a domain member machine when using the default account naming
> > rules.  And if the admin changed them to "always prepend domain name",
> > there would not be a "sshd" account at all.
>
> I'm suggesting changing the account that sshd tries to look up. If it
> always uses ${machine}\sshd then will it work? (Assuming the host setup
> script ensures this account exists)

So you're suggesting to change sshd.c to fetch the name of the machine
first, then construct the account name in a local buffer and give that
to getpwnam?

That won't work either in all cases.  On non-domain machines the account
name will be "sshd", not "${machine}+sshd".  Except if the admin
specifies that the domain is always prepended, which makes it
"${machine}+sshd" again.  And if the admin specifies the separator char
to be not '+' but, for instance '#', the account name will be
"${machine}#sshd".

All that knowledge would have to go into sshd.c.  Isn't it much easier
and less convoluted to allow specifying the account name in sshd_config?

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Maintainer