AuthorizedKeysCommand size issue?

Yves Dorfsman yves at zioup.com
Thu Apr 17 01:38:19 EST 2014

On 2014-04-15 12:31, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> On 04/15/2014 09:47 AM, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
>> Or even 'echo "$(curl ...)"'
>
> This is potentially dangerous if curl produces a string that starts with
> a hyphen ("-"); in this case, echo will interpret the string as a set of
> option flags instead of as an argument to be repeated.
>
> You might prefer:
>
>    printf "%s "$(curl ...)"
>
> But i do also share damien's general automatic aversion to using curl in
> this context, *especially* over cleartext HTTP.  yikes!

I appreciate the concern, but:

- this is using S3, so https,

- the only access anybody but Amazon has to S3 is upload/download content to
it. If somebody get hold of our keys to access S3, they can actually shutdown
our instances (VMs) anyway. I'm sure the S3 servers have potential
vulnerabilities, but this is way less likely than with an average web server
with ssh access exposed to the net.

- this would be strictly from AWS instances using DNS from Amazon (who owns
S3), and DNS is done over AWS private network, which means it is very unlikely
that somebody will hijack DNS

--
Yves.