SSH command line behavior with explicit identity file

Yves Martin ymartin1040 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 20:42:02 EST 2014

  Hello,

I got a trouble with ssh command line when investigating a connection issue
to a (Stash/Git) server.

When invoking "ssh -p 7999 -i /path/to/my/id_dsa git at stashserver"
I just got the answer
"Permission denied (publickey)."

I had to enable traces: "ssh -t -p 7999 -i /path/to/my/id_dsa
git at stashserver"
to understand why:

debug1: Server accepts key: pkalg ssh-dss blen 433
debug1: could not open key file '/path/to/my/id_dsa': Permission denied
debug1: No more authentication methods to try.
Permission denied (publickey).

In my opinion, I would expect that ssh command outputs to stderr the "could
not open key file '/path/to/my/id_dsa': Permission denied" message when a
identity file is explicitly given in options.

What do you think about that error handling proposal ?

Thank you for your attention
Best regards
--
Yves Martin