Call for testing: OpenSSH 6.7

Kevin Brott kevin.brott at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 09:32:37 EST 2014

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 3:42 PM, Damien Miller <djm at mindrot.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Aug 2014, Kevin Brott wrote:
>
> > Slightly better results this time 'round ... still having non-ec.h build
> > issues, what I think is a race condition on RHEL 3, and PIE issues (fixed
> > with --without-pie config option) on RHEL 5 64-bit systems with a
> just-built
> > copy of openssl
> >
> > Using http://www.mindrot.org/openssh_snap/openssh-SNAP-20140826.tar.gz
>
> Thanks again!

De nada ...

> > *3  --without-pie  # otherwise will not load openssl - which doesn't use
> PIE
> > during compile on 64-bit systems
>
> We should probably find a way to delay the PIE checks until after we have
> most dependency libraries located to catch this.

Per IAN's comment - I tried building openssl on another x64 system
using ./config
shared instead of just ./config (builds static library) so that it would
try to use -fPIC.  After installing and creating an
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/openssl-101.conf pointing to /usr/local/ssl/lib
(configure pukes without this - it can't find libssl.so.1.0.0 even with an
explicit --with-ssl-dir) ... configure works as advertised without telling
it --without-pie, and make test is 'all tests passed'.  Perhaps a quick
check to see if libssl is a static or shared library would be in order
before asking for a slice of pie? ;p

> > FAIL*1 ran make tests three (3) times ... died here each time:
> >   run test login-timeout.sh ...
> >   ssh connect after login grace timeout failed without privsep
> >   failed connect after login grace timeout
> >   make[1]: *** [t-exec] Error 1
> >   make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/openssh/regress'
> >   make: *** [tests] Error 2
>
> any clues in regress/failed-*?

Brought that VM back up (admittedly I didn't look too deep at this one -
was trying to get through the test suite first), looking at those files I
see this:

# ls -alrt failed-*
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          308 Aug 25 09:05 failed-ssh.log
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          236 Aug 25 09:05 failed-sshd.log
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           89 Aug 25 09:05 failed-regress.log
[root at buildhost regress]# cat failed-regress.log
trace: wait for sshd
FAIL: ssh connect after login grace timeout failed without privsep

[root at buildhost regress]# cat failed-sshd.log
trace: wait for sshd
Received signal 15; terminating.
debug2: channel 0: rcvd close
Received disconnect from 127.0.0.1: 11: disconnected by user
debug1: do_cleanup
FAIL: ssh connect after login grace timeout failed without privsep

[root at buildhost regress]# cat failed-ssh.log
trace: wait for sshd
debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
debug1: Connecting to 127.0.0.1 [127.0.0.1] port 4242.
debug1: connect to address 127.0.0.1 port 4242: Connection refused
ssh: connect to host 127.0.0.1 port 4242: Connection refused
FAIL: ssh connect after login grace timeout failed without privsep

Need to dig through my email archives - I would swear this is a
(previously fixed) race in the test suite where it wasn't waiting properly.

> FAIL*2 compile fails at bufexc.c like so - another ec.h issue?
>
> Yep, fixed in tomorrow's snapshot
>
> -d

Awesome.