Dealing with roaming machines

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Mon Dec 22 20:26:49 EST 2014

Hey folks,

As most of everyone, I use OpenSSH for almost everything and
whenever I can: backups, sync, Git, configuration management, and of
course console sessions. So much for an intro ;)

My laptop and I roam between three networks, though sometimes
I leave the laptop at the office overnight, or hop over to the third
site for an hour or two.

I'd like to find a way to configure OpenSSH (or Linux in general) to
try the other networks if the machine cannot be found locally.
Unfortunately, DNS "search" in /etc/resolv.conf and
CanonicalizeHostname in ssh_config both don't work since they only
iterate the network DNS zones until a record is found, and my laptop
has an entry in all three zones.

Short of creating a single DNS entry and adding all possible IPs for
my laptop, I am wondering if there's a way to configure OpenSSH
(or Linux) to try multiple DNS names until a connection can be
made. For extra bonus special points, this should obviously happen
all at once to reduce wait times.

Assuming that this isn't currently possible — I did search and
investigate — would this be a worthwhile feature to look into?

Thanks,

--
@martinkrafft | http://madduck.net/ | http://two.sentenc.es/

for years, we have thought that a million monkeys typing at a million
typewriters would eventually produce the complete works of shakespeare.
today, thanks to the internet, we know this is not true.

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net