SFTP: Unable to input unicode characters

Stuart Baker sdb at stuartdb.com
Wed Feb 5 13:56:01 EST 2014

Hi openssh mailing list,

I'm currently running Arch x86_64 with openssh 6.5p1, but the following is also
reproduceable on Debian stable (openssh 6.0p1 I believe).

Entering unicode characters directly into sftp results in no input. Not a
placeholder character or a space, just no input.

Here are some relevant details:

The machines in my test both have locale correctly set (in this specific
example it's en_NZ.UTF-8).

Entering in the same character into the shell, ssh and scp all work as expected
without issue.

sftp will autocomplete a filename with a unicode character in it correctly. The
transfer works as expected.

The issue becomes apparent when you are not in a situation to autocomplete the
filename and you need to manually enter the unicode character.

Example (auto complete after "t" works fine):

sftp> ls
tést-file
sftp> get tést-file

Example (unable to find a way to complete command):

sftp> ls
test-file   tést-file
sftp> get t
test-file   tést-file
sftp> get t

Trying to enter 'é' results in no visible input.
Pasting in 'tést-file' results in 'tst-file'.

As mentioned, this seems to only be an issue with sftp and is not an issue in
ssh or scp.

Is this a known issue? I did my best to search for other mentions of this but
was unable to find anything.

Kind Regards,
Stuart