What magic did openssh do to handle programs like VIM?

Morham opensshdev at r.paypc.com
Tue Feb 11 17:03:44 EST 2014

 > And sometimes people don't know what's already available, such as the
 > old telnetd and rshd code, or why it's such a horribly bad idea to use
 > in modern "people's laptops are often rootkitted" packet sniffing
 > environments. So an actual answer "why" would actually be useful.

I'd say it's safe to assume that the original poster is well aware of
the existence of OpenSSH for what I hope are obvious reasons.  It is not
useless to undertake "ground-up" investigation into how to do things
"properly" by referencing "reference" documentation, if there is even
such a thing in today's chaotic open source development environment.

I actually "cringe" when I see young engineers just surrendering
intellectual capital to "copy-and-paste" methodologies.  It's always
useless to KNOW WHY & HOW, rather than just "from where to copy"
something.  There is little doubt that your first efforts will be buggy
and insecure.  But you'll learn many things, and their value may not be
immediately apparent to you for some time.

=R=