IPQoS

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Fri Feb 14 02:32:48 EST 2014

On (2014-02-13 14:42 +0000), Chris Wilson wrote:

Hi Chris,

> To my knowledge, DSCP code points have no predefined global
> interpretation. Their actual interpretation depends on network

There are well agreed, commonly used BE, AF, EF, NC. But in Internet between
sensible AS numbers all packets are handled as BE regardless of markings (You
don't want Internet DoS to kill your Voice)

> OpenSSH is conforming to this "informal standard", and with its huge
> installed user base, helping to define it as well. It already does
> set a high-priority TOS flag on interactive sessions, and
> low-priority on non-interactive ones:

I've never ever seen DSCP 0x4 used for anything. And PREC 0 is BE. I also
can't right now remember buying QoS from company which didn't by default map
PREC 5/CS5 to high-priorioty/low-delay (it's used often by default in phones
and conferencing systems).
So if you're not going for DSCP 0x0, you should go with 0x28, i.e. CS5, and it
would work in vast majority of networks which implement QoS, out of the box.

--
  ++ytti