3des cipher and DH group size

mancha mancha1 at hush.com
Sat Feb 15 05:49:21 EST 2014

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=initialization+vector+birthday+paradox

> > Poor cryptographic decisions should be corrected not emulated and
> > perpetuated.
>
> People's lives depend on security of systems that at best provide 80 bit
> of security.
>
> I'm saying that there is no point of using anything past 128 bit
> with default settings if this hampers interoperability.
>
> That's a 281474976710656 times difference!
>
> You really don't see that?

You might be one of the few people left who are advocating for weak
cryptographic primitives. Were you also upset when OpenSSL deprecated
MD2?

> > Who knows what "normal person" or "relatively secure" mean. That's
> > why we develop standards and objective guidelines instead.
>
> "normal person" - people that don't know about existence or purpose
> of /etc/ssh/moduli
>
> "relatively secure" - 128bit, a.k.a. SECRET as used by NATO.
>
> Using 7k DH with 3DES and AES-128 is not the effect of those guidelines.

I choose standards and objective guidelines over your personal
definitions of "relatively secure" and "normal person".

> > > At 128 bit ECRYPT II recommends 3248 bit DH, not 7168.
> > > ENISA also recommends 3072 bit DH at 128 bit security level[1].
> >
> > At 128 bits of security, NIST recommends 3072 bit DH and ECRYPT
> > II recommends 3248 bit DH.
> >
> > if(3248>3072) printf("math is nice\n");
>
> that's less than 4 bit difference in security level, you really want
> to argue about "times 16" difference?

Huh? My initial statement was that ECRYPT II recommends higher DH
bit sizes than NIST at every security level. Why exactly do you
keep debating this provable fact? FYI: facts are stubborn things.

> > > That was the first thing I tried, unfortunately, not supported by
> > > the cryptlib server in question.
> >
> > Sorry to hear cryptlib breaks yet another RFC. RFC 4253 requires
> > Oakley group 14 support.
>
> I'm not saying that it is RFC compliant. I'm saying that openssh
> can interoperate with it without compromising security.

Fix what's broken so it works with what's not broken. Don't break
things that aren't broken so they work with what's broken.

--mancha