OSX - SSH agent functionality differing based upon CLI arguments

bryan hunt picsolvebryan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 23:32:12 EST 2014

Trying to get SSH agent forwarding working for a popular open source configuration management system called Ansible.

I’ve had some unexpected behaviour, the only cause of which I can find is how I express the command line arguments.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20952689/vagrant-ssh-agent-forwarding-how-is-it-working?noredirect=1#comment31511341_20952689

In summarise:

In the first instance I can create a SSH connection, and and execute a remote git clone (via SSH), the Agent Forwarding works, and I am not prompted for credentials:

ssh vagrant at 127.0.0.1 -p 2222 \
-o Compression=yes \
-o StrictHostKeyChecking=no \
-o LogLevel=FATAL \
-o StrictHostKeyChecking=no \
-o UserKnownHostsFile=/dev/null \
-o IdentitiesOnly=yes \
-i /Users/bryanhunt/.vagrant.d/insecure_private_key \
-o ForwardAgent=yes \
"/bin/sh  -c 'git clone git at bitbucket.org:bryan_picsolve/poc_docker.git /home/vagrant/poc_dockera' "
Cloning into '/home/vagrant/poc_dockera'...

In the second instance I express the arguments differently ( -o HostName=127.0.0.1 -o User=vagrant ), and Agent Forwarding doesn’t seem to work:

ssh -o HostName=127.0.0.1 -o User=vagrant -p 2222 \
-o Compression=yes \
-o StrictHostKeyChecking=no \
-o LogLevel=FATAL \
-o StrictHostKeyChecking=no \
-o UserKnownHostsFile=/dev/null \
-o IdentitiesOnly=yes \
-i /Users/bryanhunt/.vagrant.d/insecure_private_key \
-o ForwardAgent=yes \
"/bin/sh  -c 'git clone git at bitbucket.org:bryan_picsolve/poc_docker.git /home/vagrant/poc_dockerb' "
/bin/sh  -c 'git clone git at 127.0.0.1's password:

The client side SSH is:

OpenSSH_6.2p2, OSSLShim 0.9.8r 8 Dec 2011

The server side SSH is:

OpenSSH_5.9p1 Debian-5ubuntu1.1, OpenSSL 1.0.1 14 Mar 2012

Have any of the list members got an insight into this behaviour ?

Thanks in advance,

Bryan Hunt