New Log Messages?

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Sun Jan 12 12:36:47 EST 2014

Damien Miller wrote:
> The only thing to have changed semi-recently is that we improved
> logging of preauthentication messages in privsep mode in the 5.9
> release to no longer need a /dev/log inside the privsep chroot. If
> your old OpenSSH version was <5.9 and the /var/empty chroot didn't
> have a /dev/log in it then you may have been missing these messages.

I just looked and that appears to have been the case.  I see no
/dev/log in the empty directory.  So that will explain it then.
Wasn't getting those messages before even if they were intended to be
logged but am getting those messages now due to the change to log them
even if /dev/log is not present.

Thanks for taking the time to describe it.  It is so much nicer
understanding what is going on.

Thanks!
Bob