Call for testing: OpenSSH-6.5

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Wed Jan 29 09:50:40 EST 2014

On Tue, 28 Jan 2014, Tom G. Christensen wrote:

> On 28/01/14 12:17, Damien Miller wrote:
> > As for altering the test to take longer - you could try increasing
> > the 'sleep 3' statements in rekey.sh to something longer and see
> > if that helps. Unfortunately, this is a more fiddly one to avoid the
> > races on.
> >
> AFAICT the two tests that fail are run through the ssh_data_rekeying function
> which does not include a sleep.
>
> The failed tests:
> client rekey chacha20-poly1305 at openssh.com diffie-hellman-group-exchange-sha1
> client rekey chacha20-poly1305 at openssh.com
> diffie-hellman-group-exchange-sha256
>
> See also http://jupiterrise.com/tmp where the failed-* logs are.

It shows the client getting a "Write failed: broken pipe" on the socket to
the server and the last message on the server being "debug1:
SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_GROUP sent [preauth]".

I suspect the server might be silently crashing in packet.c:packet_write_wait
or possibly dh.c:dh_gen_key. These are usually a little tricky to debug.

The way I usually start is by sprinkling logit() statements though these
functions to see where it gets to.

-d