Query

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 21:09:57 EST 2014

On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 11:58 AM, sshuser GA <sshuserga at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  I recently upgraded to openssh 6.6 version and I am finding public
> authentication doesn't seem to work.

I'm not sure this is so much 'openssh-unix-dev' content yet, but I
won't try to trim the thread.

Start with your basic configuration. If you're not on a stable OpenBSD
operating system, you're not on the reference development environment,
and may need to use openssh 6.6p1 to get the portability patches. And
if you're not familiar enough with debugging powerful software to
start out with your own analysis, why are you starting your education
with one of the most critical pieces of system software?

>  I see the openssh application exits with the error,
>
>  fatal: key_free: bad key type 1515870810
>
>  After I created one more user, it throws the below error and exits.
>
>  fatal: restore_uid: temporarily use_uid not effective
>
>  I was able to successfully authenticate using 5.x openssh version.
>  Kindly let me know, if this is a problem with 6.6 version?

Ghods only know. Did you build openssh 5.x by hand and test that? Or
did you grab binaries from your operating system's upstream provider?
Wherever possible, when building testing new software, I urge you to
work from your upstream provider's reference configuration. It's more
likely to correctly follow your upstream conventions, set permissions
correctly, and resolve dependencies correctly.

I went through that a *lot* of that when local developers would try to
stuff their own, personally compiled OpenSSH into working Linux
systems with reference OpenSSH distributins. Hilarity would ensue as
the OS provided package and the locally built one would overwrite each
other or cause weird, weird library dependency confusion, especially
when people would "look it up on Google" and start editing the
"/etc/ld.so.conf" or manipulating LD_LIBRARY_PATH in /etc/rc and just
cause endless confusion.

So, start from the beginning. Which OpenSSH bundle or tarball did you
use, what OS, and is there still another OpenSSH binary in place?