Match directive and negations

Sven Hoexter sven at timegate.de
Wed Jul 30 02:14:05 EST 2014

Hi,
I tried to setup some special cases with the help of the "Match"
directive in sshd_config and stumbled over how negations in the
pattern matching work.

What I tried first was
     Match User !root, Group !mygroup
which to my momentary surprise did not work.

After carefully re-reading the manpage, and some try and error
I've understood that the logic is based on set theory and I
tried to essentially exclude user/groups from an empty set, which
of course has no result and thus can not match anything.

So a
   Match User *,!root, Group *,!mygroup
worked for my case.

I guess it's intentional that there is no kind of default
filling of the set you match on, so I would propose a patch
to the ssh_config.5 manpage to make it a bit more obvious.

Sven