-h, --help option

Ben Lindstrom mouring at eviladmin.org
Tue Jun 24 01:11:48 EST 2014

On Jun 23, 2014, at 5:48 AM, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com> wrote:

> I can argue that man pages are absent at least on Windows, but it does
> not matter here, because comparing manual with command line help is
> wrong.

That would be an issue you should take up with the whomever packaged your ssh for windows.

> In other words --help option is not a replacement for a full doc and it is
> not meant to provide detailed information about software. However, it
> provides a useful reference for most used options. See git for example,
> which provides both.

The issue with this is two fold:

1. Keep the documentation up in two places is more painful than one.
2. Attempting to sum up a lot of the ssh options via one-liners becomes pretty hard as even a paragraph or two in the manage doesn't always fully explain the minor ticks that may burn you if you aren't reading carefully.

I agree with Markus that most --help ends up being a lie as it barely explains the meaning of the options a lot of times, and in the end I still have to dig up the manpage so they just cost more time for the developer.

- Ben