SFTP &

Márk Csaba markcs at gwyll.eu
Wed Jun 25 10:30:48 EST 2014

Hello List.

i’m trying to setup a limited SSH server with SFTP.

The requirements:

-          There are users to whom only SFTP should be available. (sftp-only group)

-          There are users to whom SFTP and shell access should be available (admin group)

-          SFTP clients have to authenticate with username and password

-          shell users have to authenticate with private key.

I put Into the sshd_config global section:

PasswordAuthentication no

and the end of the sshd_config:

Subsystem       sftp    internal-sftp

Match Group admin

    AllowTCPForwarding yes

    X11Forwarding yes

    ForceCommand bash

Match Group sftp-only

    PasswordAuthentication yes

    AllowTCPForwarding no

    X11Forwarding no

    ForceCommand internal-sftp

This config works well for SFTP users … but if a user is a member of both group, the SFTP client fails to connect. Obviously because of the ForceCommand.

Is there a way to achieve the requirements above?

Is there a way to create rules according to connection type? I mean … is there any difference within the connection/authentication between eg. PuTTy and FileZilla?

Thank you,

Csaba